01 July 2021

Updated 28 September 2021 to reflect new date of 01 January 2022 to be in possession of your residency permit.

If you were living in France before 1 January 2021:


You must have applied for your Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit (WARP), known in French as a ‘carte/titre de séjour « accord de retrait du Royaume-Uni de l’Union Européenne »’, by 30 June 2021. Your rights are protected by the Withdrawal Agreement, pending a decision on your application.


You should continue the process to get your new residence card if you do not have it yet.

From 1 October 2021 you must be in possession of a WARP as any residence permits that reference « citoyen union européenne » will no longer be valid from this date. Read more about the residence permit you need.


If you have not had a response to your WARP application, check your email and spam folder regularly for contact from your prefecture. Respond promptly to requests, to help prefectures process your application quickly.


Contact the prefecture if you applied more than several months ago and have not received an update, or email the Interior Ministry address set up to monitor these applications using


If your application is refused, you will be notified about the appeals process. Read the French government advice on how to appeal a residency decision (in French).

You must renew your WARP when it expires. Check your prefecture’s website to find out the process for renewing your WARP locally.

If you were living in France before 1 January 2021 BUT DIDN't APPLY BY JUNE 30 2021:


The deadline for applying for a new residence status was 30 June 2021. You can still apply online and you must say why your application is late. Applications may be permitted until 4 October but you should apply as soon as possible - do not delay.

Your close family members continue to be able to join you and settle in France at any point in the future. Find more information on who this applies to on the Living in Europe page.

They must travel to France and then submit a WARP application to the local prefecture (or via the portal if open) as your family member. Nationals of certain non-EU countries may need a visa before travel. Read the French consulate’s guidance on family members joining a British national.

You should also:

If you need additional support relating to your WARP, read UK Nationals Support Fund guidance.